Since 2016, ASTT has held a conference each September or October.
- The 2016 conference was a one-day event held at Haworth on 9th October and attended by 30 people.
- The 2017 conference was held in the Bury Transport Museum over the weekend of 30th Sep to 1st Oct and was attended by 35 people including 12 non-members.
- The 2018 conference was also held in the Bury Transport Museum, over the weekend of 29th – 30th Sep. Attendance was again 35.
- The 2019 conference was held at the Ibis Styles Hotel in Crewe over the weekend of 5th – 6th October with an attendance of 50.
- The 2020 conference was cancelled due to Covid. Instead, around 15 ASTT members congregated outdoors at the Stapleford Miniature Railway on 19th Sept.
- The 2021 conference was held at the GCR’s meeting room in Loughborough on 28th September. Attendance was only 17 because of Covid concerns. On 29th September, attendees enjoyed the day travelling behind steam on the Stapleford Miniature Railway.
- The 2022 conference was held in the Head of Steam Museum in Darlington over the weekend of 15th-16th October, with an attendance of 28.
[Note: access to the above conference pages is limited to logged-in members only.]
Not included above is the last meeting of the 5AT Group held at Haworth on 16th November 2013, which was attended by 18 members. The meeting took the form of an informal conference with presentations by seven speakers that included:
- 5AT Group History (John Hind);
- XT Update (Jamie Keyte);
- Locomotive boilers (Alan Haigh);
- Girdlestone chassis proposals (Cedric Lodge);
- Cambrian Steam, ERTMS and 44871 status (Angus Eickhoff);
- Sound as a diagnostic tool (Robin Pennie);
- Locomotive Exhausts (Jos Koopmans);
- New builds – what is and what is not relevant from 5AT experience and modern rail practice (Paul Hibberd);
- Library & Archive (Cedric Lodge);
- Steam Locomotive Support Equipment (Cedric Lodge);
- Clan Project Update (John Hind/Iain Jack).
The 5AT Project was disbanded shortly afterwards whereupon the AST Trust was established.