Static Locomotive Test Plant

Home Forums Steam Technology – General Static Locomotive Test Plant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alex Powell
    Participant

Hi all
      The recent anniversary of the opening of the test plant at Rugby made me wonder whether it would be worth designing and building (money permitting of course) a new and updated version of the Rugby test plant. It might save on test runs and a lot of data could be recorded at mainline speeds without having to pay the expensive costs of organising a test run simply every time you changed something on the loco.

A portable one for smaller gauges could also be designed which might allow for testing of festiniog railway locomotives without disrupting their busy summer timetable say.

I would be very interested to hear all you thoughts on this

Chris Corney
      Participant

Yes, I like the idea, especially with modern instrumentation. The Lynton and Barnstaple is a the same gauge as the Festiniog, so it would be good for their new-builds.

Alex Powell
        Participant

If we were to build a narrow gauge one it could even be multi gauge. say 15inch and 2ft? I’m not sure how that would work but I’m sure a way could be found.

Chris Corney
          Participant

Assuming the locomotive driving wheels are supported on rollers, I would think it’s relatively straight forward to design them for multiple gauges. A similar priciple to dual gauge or multigauge track. I think one of the locomotive manufacturers (I can’t remember which – possibly Hunslet) had a multiple gauge test track on which it could run locomotives of most gauges.

Alex Powell
            Participant

Rollers would seem the best way to do it. I think the only difficulty then would possibly be to make it portable. Which could definitely be done its just a question of good design.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.